Illinois became a state in 1818. In a 1829 treaty, the Potawatomi Indians gave up all their land east of the Mississippi to the United States. However, under this treaty, the Potawatomies were allowed seven years more, until August 1836, before they had to move to the new lands assigned to them west of the Mississippi. In September 1833, a final treaty was signed with the Potawatomies forbidding the white man to settle on the land until 1836. However, the white settlers came and settled on this land before the designated time, and the Indians did not object. In fact, no white settler was ever harmed by an Indian in this region.
Our school was established in 1844, because the local area residents believed in educating their children. The first Gavin School was a one-room log cabin. Gavin School was named after Mike Gavin, the farmer who gave the land to have a school built. The enrollment in 1844 was 10 students from 1st thru 8th grades. Teachers were paid largely by farm produce.
Fast forward over 170 years later and what follows is current day Gavin School District 37!